I recently went to Singapore and Malaysia on 9 day-7 night trip. We were 7 friends travelling from India and total cost for the trip was around Rs 60,000 (USD 923) each inclusive of air-fares, accommodation, food and moderate shopping. I am writing this mostly to provide you a detailed breakdown of the cost to help you plan a economic trip without cutting down on cost. I will mostly focus on the cost side of it and briefly share our daily itinerary at the end of the article.
SECTION 1: COST
(i) Air Tickets & Itinerary
|Date||Trip||Operator||Cost in INR||Cost in USD|
|31st March- Fri||Bangalore(21:50) to Chennai(22:45)||Spicejet
|Rs 1536-500(ixigo) =
|1st April- Sat||Chennai(06:00) to Singapore(13:10)||Indigo||Rs 6086-600(MMT) =
|4th April- Tue
|Singapore (15:55) to Langkawi (17:20)||TigerAir||Rs 3200-500 (PayTM) =
|7th April- Fri||Langkawi(11:25) – Kualalumpur(12:35)||AirAsia||Rs 1061||16.3|
|9th April-Sun||Kualalumpur(21:10)- Bangalore (22:45)||Air Asia||Rs 6107-600(MMT) =
|Additional Baggage for 1Apr & 7Apr||Rs 2500||38.4|
|Place||Dates||Cost||Cost per Person(INR)||Cost in USD|
|Singapore||1st Apr to 4th Apr||Rs 20132- 1172(airbnb referal)=Rs 18960||Rs 2708||41.6|
|Langkawi||4th Apr to 7th Apr||Rs 19648- 1232(airbnb referral)= Rs 18416||Rs 2631||40.5|
|Kualalumpur||7th Apr to 9th Apr||Rs 13809- 1213(airbnb referral) = Rs 12596||Rs 1800||27.6|
Links to properties booked
Singapore (My Rating 3/5)
The only good thing about this place is that it is pocket friendly and is nearby MRT/Public transport. The arrangements otherwise are just good enough to justify the price you pay. You get one big room with two double beds and few mattresses that you can spread on the floor. There is one bathroom. Living room is shared with one more guest. It has a washing machine and an electric kettle. Cooking is not allowed.
Langkawi (My Rating 4/5)
This was one of the newer properties on Airbnb. This is 20 mins drive from airport. Place is spacious and well kept. This is an independent house which comes with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Owner is really helpful and is just a call away. This property is in walking distance to Pantai Cenang beach and nearby restaurants and duty-free shops.
Kualalumpur (My Rating 5/5)
One of the best Airbnb that I have been to. It is well kept and is equipped with fully-furnished kitchen. The 3BHK apartment has been thoughtfully decorated. The view from the balcony is mesmerising. You get to see the KLCC twin tower through the balcony. The rooftop pool on the 37th floor should not be missed while staying here.
(iii) VISA Fees
|Country||Applied On||Received On||Cost (INR)||Cost in USD|
|Singapore- ThomasCook||10th March||21st March||2440||37.5|
|Malaysia- Musafir||21st March||29th March||3499||53.8|
(iv) Cost of tickets to amusement parks & tourist places bought online
|Place||Country||Price (INR)||Price (USD)||Brought from|
|Night Safari+ Tram||Singapore||1274||19.6||Klook|
|Jurong Bird Park +Tram||Singapore||796||12.2||Klook|
|Marina Bay Sands||Singapore||840||12.9||Klook|
|Wings of Time||Singapore||420||6.5||Klook|
|Tiger Sky Tower||Singapore||373||5.7||Klook|
|Gardens by the Bay||Singapre||746||11.5||Klook|
(v) This is all the expense that we had incurred even before starting the trip.
Some other overheads were as follows
|Head||Cost||Cost per head(INR)||Cost in USD|
|SIM Singapore- Starhub||699||100||1.5|
|Singapore Ez Link for 3 days||933||933||14.3|
|Under Water World-Langkawi||694||694||10.7|
|Rent Scooter in Lagkawi+10RM Petrol||530||265||4|
|Awana Skyway to Genting(Return)||240||240||3.7|
|Tempo Traveller for Genting @9 PAX||4500||500||7.7|
|Langkawi Island Hoping & Mangrove Forest||1150||1150||17.7|
Only expenses remaining were
- Food Expense
- Uber/Grab rides once in a while
(vi) Food Expense
Average expense on Food in Singapore- Rs 1500/day/person = USD 23
Effective number of days-03
Total Expense= 4500 = USD 69
Avaerage expense on Food in Malaysia= Rs 1200/day/person= USD 18.5
Effective number of days- 06
Total Expense= Rs 7200 = USD 111
|Place||Expenditure(INR)||Cost in USD|
|Singapore (03 days)||4500||69|
|Malaysia (06 days)||7200||111|
|Head||Cost (INR)||Cost (USD)|
So, INR 54697 (USD 841.4) was our total expense on accommodation, air fare, tickets to all the major attraction. It also included the cost that we incurred in Public Transport in Singapore, the to and fro trip to Genting from Kuala Lumpur and an entire day of Island hoping and Mangrove Forest trip in Langkawi. We could have spent another Rs 1000 (USD 15.4) each on Uber/Grab or other contingencies and still had around Rs 5000(USD 77) left for Shopping.
- Reached Singapore at 13:10
- Bought SIM, had lunch, took MRT to Airbnb
- Left Airbnb and reached “Gardens by the Bay” at 15:30. We had bought the tickets for Gardens by the bay beforehand. It allows entry to Cloud Forest and Forest Dome. Cloud Walk is the best attraction here.
- Some Musical Show that happens around Gardens by the Bay was canceled for the day due to some concert.
- 20:45 OCBC skyway light & music show
- 21:30 Marina Bay Sand Observation deck
- 22:30 Dinner and metro back to Airbnb
- 11:00 – Reached Chinese Garden. Roamed around and clicked pictures.
- 12:30 – Reached Jurong Bird Park. Enjoyed bird shows and tram ride.
- 03:30 – Went to NTU Campus. Explored the campus and had Indian meal in their cafeteria.
- 20:15 – Entered Night Safari. Enjoyed the Tram ride and headed back to our home post dinner around 22:00
- 11:30 – Reached Universal Studios.Transformers, Jurassic Park, Revenge of the Mummy, Human and Cyclone were the major attractions and in the increasing order of difficulty.
- 19:40 – Wings of Time Show. Beautiful light, laser and water show
- 20:20 – Tiger Sky Tower
- 21:30 – Merlion Park & Clarke Quay
- 11:00 – Bugis Street Market. Garment Shopping
- 12:30 – China Town. Artifacts and Souvenir Shopping
- 15:55 – Flight to Langkawi
- 18:30 – Airbnb owner picked us up from airport and dropped us at the airport
- 20:00 – Explored nearby market & Cenang beach
- 09:00 – Mangrove Forest Tour
- 13:00 – Island Hopping
- 21:00 – Cenang Beach & nearby market
- 11:00 – Rented a bike for the day
- 11:30 – Post breakfast, reached Underwater World
- 14:00 – Eagle Square
- 16:30 – Langkawi Sky Bridge
- 18:00 – Seven Beach Waterfall
- 19:20 – Pebble Beach
- 21:00 – Shopping from Duty free shops
- 11:25 – Flight from Langkawi to Kuala Lumpur
- 15:00 – Reached our Airbnb property after a long Uber ride
- 16:00 – KL towers
- 18:00 – Petronas Twin Towers
- 11:00 – Booked a tempo traveller to take us to Genting Skycable via Batu Caves
- 11:30 – Batu Caves
- 13:00 – Awana Skyway to Genting. Skyway is surreal. At its highest point, you can see clouds around you. Must visit.
- 13:00 – Explored the casino, eateries and scenic beauty around. It also has an amusement park & Ripley’s believe or not
- 20:00 – Back to Airbnb Apartment. Relaxed at the rooftop pool.
- 12:00 – China Town for Shopping
- 15:00 – Back to Airport
How much money to carry for daily expenses?
If you have made all the arrangements for stay and air fares before the trip and have purchased most of the entry tickets to various tourist spot, following is the amount of money you should carry to cover for your food and other contingencies.
Singapore – USD 35/ INR 2260/ SGD 48.4
Malaysia – USD 28/ INR 1807/ SGD 38.7
Please post your queries and feedback in the comment below.